E-Commerce is the buying and selling of products and services by businesses or consumers over the Internet.
People use the term e-Commerce or online shopping to describe the process of searching for and selecting products in online catalogues and then “checking out” using a credit card or PayPal and encrypted payment processing. Internet sales are increasing rapidly as consumers take advantage of:
- lower prices offered by vendors operating with less margin than a store
- greater convenience of having a product delivered to them
- sourcing product more cheaply from overseas vendors
- great variety and inventory offered by online stores
- comparison engines that compare and recommend product
- auction sites, where they did for goods
Benefits of E-Commerce
E-commerce can provide the following benefits over non-electronic commerce:
- Reduced costs by reducing labour, paper work, errors in keying in data and post costs
- Reduced time – Shorter lead times for payment and return on investment (ROI) in advertising, faster delivery of product
- New Markets – The Internet has the given you the potential to expand your business into wider geographical locations.
When Mehr Global design your e-Commerce webstore we always organise a SSL certificate to protect your site and your customers’ information. SSL Certificates are small data files that digitally bind a cryptographic key to an organization’s details. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol (over port 443) and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser.
Imagine a web site that would allow your customers to place an order for your goods and when they sent their order to you, your stock or inventory database was updated immediately, outwards goods were notified and the customer was sent an advice from packing staff when the goods were shipped.
Many businesses do each of these things but few join them together or “integrate” them. As businesses become familiar with the Internet, it won’t take long for businesses to see that their order-taking, stock control and delivery systems should be merged into one seamless function, meaning your web site is constantly up to date.